I love fall, don't you? In fact, it's my favorite season, although spring seems to be the one I anticipate the most, since I can't wait for winter to end. But fall... ah! What's not to love about it?
Can you believe tomorrow is the first day of October? To celebrate, today's post is dedicated to just a few of the many things I love about this time of year. Read on!
1. They may be called the "Boys of Summer", and baseball may be played throughout the earlier part of the year, but the best part of baseball comes in October. It's too bad my Red Sox won't be playing in October this year.
2. Trick or treat! How can you not love all those little ghosts and goblins who show up at your door begging for treats? We usually average about one hundred little beggars at our door every Halloween!
3. Sweaters! And jackets! And boots! Oh my! One of the things I love most about fall is being able to put away all those tired old summer clothes and pull out all the things that keep me warm and toasty in cooler weather!
4. I love scarecrows and other fall decorations. If you're anything like me, when the weather starts to turn cooler, you start thinking about pulling out all those awesome fall decorations and really dressing the house up for the season!
5. And mums! They come in some of the most beautiful fall colors, don't they?
6. How about hayrides? I love them! Fall just wouldn't be the same without a wagon full of hay, filled with folks huddled together, trying to keep warm! Back when I was a kid, I used to have a hayride almost every autumn, thanks to my aunt and uncle who lived on a horse farm. What a great memory!
7. Football! Whether it's NFL, college, or high school, I love football.
8. Fallen leaves are a sure sign of autumn. I enjoy them a lot more now that we don't have a yard full of them, waiting to be raked and bagged! This is the only time of year I'm happy that we have only 2 or 3 small trees in our yard.
9. Caramel apples have to be my favorite fall treat! I could eat a dozen of them!
10. A bonfire is a sure sign of fall. And who can resist the woodsy smell as you roast marshmallows over a crackling fire.
11. Birthdays! Mine, my husband's, and my niece's all fall within 6 days of each other in the fall!
12. I love the start of the new television season in the fall! Finally - answers to all those cliff-hanger questions from the spring season finales!
13. And of course, fall simply wouldn't be fall without pumpkins!
This post was revised and re-edited from my archives, originally published on October 1, 2009.
All photos were found on Google Image Search. If one of these images belongs to you and you would like credit for it, please email me.